Information Technology has revolutionized the Railways customer interface over the last few years and will continue.
Some of the initiatives that would be taken are -
· proliferation of cash accepting Automatic Ticket Vending Machines;
· Ticketing on mobile phones in the unreserved segment;
· PNR status update to passengers through system generated SMS;
· an update for train running information; Online booking of retiring rooms at all important stations;
· Online booking of meals on trains for selected en-route stations;
· Introduction of e-forwarding note and electronic transmission of railway receipts for freight customers, which will enable users to carry out freight business with Railways from the comfort of their homes and offices; and
· Computerisation of claims settlement process on Indian Railways.