Problems of labourers and employees pointed by their organisations: Statement submitted by Govt in Rajya Sabha on 05th February, 2013:-
The National Convention of workers held on 04.09.2012 decided on a country wide 2 days general strike on 20th & 21st February, 2013. The main grievances of Central Trade Unions are as follows:-
(1) Concrete measures to contain price rise;
(2) Concrete measures for linkage of employment protection with the concession/incentive package offered to the entrepreneurs;
(3) Strict enforcement of all basic labour laws without any exception or exemption and stringent punitive measures for violation of labour laws;
(4) Universal social security cover for the unorganized sector workers;
(5) Stoppage of disinvestment in Central and State PSUs;
(6) No contractorisation of work of permanent/perennial nature of job;
(7) Amendment of Minimum Wages Act to ensure universal coverage irrespective of the schedules and fixation of statutory minimum wage at not less than Rs.10,000/-;
(8) Remove all ceilings on payment and eligibility of Bonus, Provident Fund, increase the quantum of gratuity;
(9) Assured Pension for all; and
(10) Compulsory registration of trade unions within a period of 45 days and immediate ratification of the ILO conventions No.87 and 98.
To persuade them to call off their strike the then Hon’ble Minister for Labour & Employment called a meeting with the representatives / leaders of the central trade unions on 13th February, 2013. He requested the trade union leaders not to resort to strike. Hon’ble Prime Minister had also made an appeal to the central trade unions on 17.02.2013 to withdraw their call for countrywide general strike.
A Group of Ministers (GoM) consisting of Hon’ble Defence Minister Shri A.K. Antony, Shri Sharad Pawar Hon’ble Agriculture Minister and Hon’ble Labour & Employment has been constituted on 18.02.2013 to resolve the Issues. The GoM had also interacted with the leaders / representative of central trade unions on 18.02.2013 and requested them to call off their strike on 20th & 21st February, 2013.
The matter has been referred to GoM and GOM held its Meetings on 22.05.2013, 09.12.2013 and 08.01.2014.
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
RAJYA SABHAUNSTARRED QUESTION NO-1627
Problems of labourers and employees pointed by their organisations
1627 . SHRI THAAWAR CHAND GEHLOT
(a)the major problems of labourers and employees of the country for whose solution the All India Labour Organisations have sent request letters to Government during the last three years;
(b)the action taken by Government so far to solve the demands mentioned in the request letters received from labour organisations; and
(c)the demands which have been accepted and rejected by Government?
(a) to (c): *** see above ***