To encrypt your file and set a password to open it:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Prepare, and then click Encrypt Document.
- In the Encrypt Document dialog box, in the Password box, type a password, and then click OK.
You can type up to 255 characters. By default, this feature uses AES 128-bit advanced encryption. Encryption is a standard method used to help make your file more secure.
- In the Confirm Password dialog box, in the Reenter password box, type the password again, and then click OK.
- To save the password, save the file.
Remove password protection from a Word document
- Use the password to open the document.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Prepare, and then clickEncrypt Document.
- In the Encrypt Document dialog box, in the Password box, delete the encrypted password, and then click OK.
- Save the file.
Set a password to modify a Word document
In addition to setting a password to open a Word document, you can set a password to allow others to modify the document.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , click Save As, and on the bottom of the Save As dialog, click Tools.
- On the Tools menu, click General Options. The General Options dialog opens.
- Under File sharing options for this document, in the Password to modifybox, type a password.
- In the Confirm Password dialog, re-type the password. Click OK.
- Click Save.
NOTE To remove the password, repeat these instructions and then delete the password from the Password to modify box. Click Save.